A behind-the-scenes look at Evan's two-year mission in Madagascar for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Monday, November 10, 2014

11/10/2014

              So I guess this email will have to include the past two weeks. Two weeks ago, I was sick on Thursday and Friday (and we were not able to work). I was better the rest of the week. Last preparation day, our zone went to this place called Foulpointe. It is a really nice beach area about an hour away from Tamatave. We played volleyball and then ate lobster and shrimp. Other than that, last week was fairly uneventful. 
       This week was more eventful, mostly because of transfer news on Sunday. Ankirihiry had its branch conference yesterday. 126 people attended church, which I think is the most since I have been here. I could not really understand what was being said, but I think one of the talks was about the importance of paying tithing. That is a real issue here. I wish I did not have to miss celebrating Dad's birthday, but that is one of the necessary sacrifices of missionary work. 
        So in other news, Elder Ratsimbarison is being transferred to some area in Antananarivo. I am staying here for a 5 week transfer. I will probably leave after that, seeing that I will have been here for about 4 months. We have a baptismal date set for December, but I will probably get transferred before then. I don't know if I am able to say who my next companion will be, so I will just wait to tell everyone next week, when he is already here. 
        The cyber here in Tamatave is nice, but the internet connection is terribly annoying most of the time. Anyway, hopefully, the family history work I attempt each Monday leads to temple work. And, considering the fact that the next time I see a temple will be in 2 years, I will be glad to go to the temple with the family. It is crazy how everyone is getting mission calls/coming home from missions. Time just doesn't stop, whether you are a missionary or not. I will dread missing Thanksgiving dinner (as nobody celebrates Thanksgiving here). The Turkey Bowl and Black Friday shopping are also things I will hate missing these next two years.
         I appreciate people's concern for my well-being. I am well. I have not contracted any crazy illnesses. I am still skinny but, according to the scale in our house, I weigh about 165 pounds. I will be glad to receive mail from everyone. I have just heard that there is some mail-burning strike going on in South Africa, so that is something to look out for as far as postage goes. 
         That is ironic that Elder Babb is cousins with the elder that Uncle Sonny ran into. Maybe he ran into him for a reason. Anyway, I have managed to survive. Already 4 months as a missionary. Doesn't seem like that. There is just so much to worry about here as a missionary, that time is usually overlooked. I hope everyone has a great week. 
Love y'all. 

         Mazotoa!

            -Elder Pinson
  







No comments:

Post a Comment