A behind-the-scenes look at Evan's two-year mission in Madagascar for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Monday, March 9, 2015

03/09/2014

 Al Roker must have lost his mind! The cyclone everyone was talking about was no more than some rain and wind. Thank heaven!  No deaths, as far as I know, which is what counts the most! All the missionaries are accounted for, which is excellent, because preparation day is the very last day anybody would ever want to stay at home. The storm was just an inconvenience this time. My biggest challenge last week was being sick with a cold, and the constant gloomy weather is not helping me to return to normal, but I am getting there.
  It is cool that Brother and Sister Habel and Trevor are back from their missions. It honestly just seems like yesterday that they left for Florida and Spain, respectively. Partaking the sacrament is always a good way to end the week. My biggest concern is that our investigators always say they feel the Spirit and commit to coming to church on Sunday and then they don't show up. I'm really disappointed, because we told Solo if he didn't come to church this time, after 12 weeks of teaching him, we couldn't keep teaching. He did not show up and he will not stop drinking. I know that if we had members fellowshipping him, it would make a big difference. Yesterday, one of the high councilors said that if the members don't fulfill their responsibilities, the ward will go back to being a branch. That ward being the ward that we attend. Always encouraging news for missionaries! Yet, it was not as if I had not known this may happen. More than half of the Melchizedek Priesthood holders are inactive. Prayers are needed, please...
  My greatest success last week was finishing reading The Book of Mormon for the 3rd time. Our companionship was also successful, we had an investigator attend church this week, He said he was attending church this week, and he did. He also understands all the lessons that have been taught, and is scheduled for baptism on the 4th of April. Also we were teaching a lesson to a family, and I felt prompted to ask all of them to commit to be baptized. They agreed, and they should be baptized in June. This is soooo cool!
  The missionaries in the Manakambahiny Zone played football today. It was great to play football, but running around on the field became like running around on an ice rink because of all the mud and rain. But we had a great time and we all went to lunch.  Let me know how the marathon goes! I am sure Britt will complete the race and, if she doesn't, that is okay because at least she tried. I don't have enough will or patience to train for a marathon. Heck, I really don't like to run anywhere unless I have to catch a taxibe or if a dog is chasing after me.
   Funny story by the way, my companion and I were walking up a hill close to our house one night around 7, so we could teach a lesson to a mpikambana mangatsiaka. The power was out, so everything was dark. When we get to the top of the hill, I shined a light at the door, which was being carefully guarded by a dog. Not just any dog, but an alika masiaka. The dog started to bark and I, believing that it was going to bite me, sprinted as fast as I could to get back to the road. I am not exactly sure how I did not fall, because I was running in the dark down a steep, cobblestoned hill. Luckily, I escaped injury-free.
  My favorite scripture this week is from Moroni 7: 12-14 ( 12 "Wherefore, all things which are good cometh of God; and that which is evil cometh of the devil; for the devil is an enemy unto God, and fighteth against him continually, and inviteth and enticeth to sin, and to do that which is evil continually. 13 But behold, that which is of God inviteth and enticeth to do good continually; wherefore, every thing which inviteth and enticeth to do good, and to love God, and to serve him, is inspired of God. 14 Wherefore, take heed, my beloved brethren, that ye do not judge that which is evil to be of God, or that which is good and of God to be of the devil. 
 It is defintely strange to imagine that I have been a missionary for 8 months. Even stranger is that I am adequately decent at Malagasy, so teaching is not a challenge anymore, nor am I nervous when I teach. I defintely have progressed over the past few months.The past 12 weeks have definitely been a trial of faith, so hopefully transfer news will bring good tidings of great joy to me and all the other missionaries. Love y'all.
   -Elder Evan Pinson 

No comments:

Post a Comment