A behind-the-scenes look at Evan's two-year mission in Madagascar for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Monday, August 24, 2015

8/24/15

  So this past week, I celebrated a full year of missionary service here in Madagascar. It was strange to realize that, one year ago from this past Thursday, I arrived here. I can definitely say that the time has flown. I can also definitely say that it has not really dawned on me that I have been away from home for so long. Very few missionaries have the opportunity to say that they served in Madagascar, so I definitely have reason to be grateful. 
 The missionary work went as normal on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. We taught many new investigators this week. In fact we were on track for one of the best weeks, missionary wise, since I arrived here to Fianarantsoa. Not being here for Saturday and most of Sunday however hurt our teaching hours. There is this guy who has been attending English class for a while, but apparently no one ever invited him to learn the gospel. We asked him if he wanted to learn and he says he will attend church and pray to understand the truthfulness of the Restoration. Way Cool!
  As I mentioned last week, the travel plan for the missionaries was to leave on Sunday after sacrament meeting, arrive at Antsirabe on Sunday evening, attend conference on Monday, and probably have preparation day on Tuesday. Well that changed when we learned on Friday afternoon that we had to be at Antsirabe before Saturday at 4. So we had to not teach the last few days of the week and leave for Antsirabe on Friday night around 9. The last few days have been a little hectic,we returned to Fianarantsoa yesterday. The highlight of the past few days was having the chance to learn from Elder Carl B. Cook, who is a Seventy. He taught a lot about conversion, obedience, the Atonement, the scriptural background behind the composition of the Quorum of the Twelve and the Quorums of the Seventy. Overall, he taught about how we can be more effective missionaries and spiritually strengthen the people of Madagascar. That was a really neat experience, and I learned a lot. I also had the morning to go with Elder Horspool, Elder Yeagley, his companion, and my companion to help build a house. It was good to do service for someone who really needed it. 
  The month of August is almost over as well as the transfer. The weeks go quickly. I have been living in Fianarantsoa for a while, and I am no longer too disappointed about being transferred from Fort Dauphin. I have already embraced that the Lord is in charge of all of the transfers, although he works through his leaders. I am hoping to apply what I have learned this past week to my missionary work, and I want to work to study more for those I teach and less for myself. We have a few people who should be ready for baptism within the next month or so. I am having a great mission. It is challenging, but it is rewarding! I am in good health; I am embracing the culture. And I hope, at least, that I am changing lives. Have a great week, everyone.

                          Elder Pinson








No comments:

Post a Comment