A behind-the-scenes look at Evan's two-year mission in Madagascar for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

2/09/2015

  This week went well. A lot of rain, but it is cyclone season in Africa. Everything is fine. I have not been sick for a while (it seems that everyone is worried about me not taking my medicine), and I am taking Doxycyline consistenly. I did ask a pharmacy guy about saline solution, but he said there was none there. Maybe at a doctors office (It was difficult to differentiate eye drops and saline solution). 
  Our bishop spoke in sacrament meeting (for the third time since I have been in the ward, not including occassional testimony bearing), as well as someone else who usually gives talks. Apparently, something is wrong with the computer program that helps keep track of statistics and activity, so our equivalent of a ward clerk/executive secretary is frustrated. He is not happy with bishop, which he made known to us all during ward council yesterday. The lesson today was "Agency, an Eternal Principle".   Hopefully, all the Irmo young men will make it back to church. I can't imagine the Melchizedek Priesthood holders having to prepare, bless, and pass the sacrament.There might be more deacons in this ward than the Irmo Ward. Sad, but probably true. 
 Our biggest challenge here is not having member help, more specifcally, a man who can sit in on the lessons, so we can teach when the husbands are at work, during the day. We had two lessons with a member present this week, and I am pretty sure it was the same person. Our biggest concern is Solo. We found out that he has been dishonest about not drinking anymore. He was acting weird (drunk)...he said Joseph Smith was the prophet today)when we were teaching him, so we ended the lesson and we left. He also has not been to church since I have been here. I know he felt the Spirit before, so I am dissappointed because of that.
 Somehow we were able to accomplish over 20 hours (not great, but not terrible) of proselyting time this week, even though we had not help, Saturday was just over an hour of proselying, and tons of people could not be taught this week. I don't have any positive investigator news this week, but let's just say that they are all diamonds in the rough. My favorite investigator this week was this guy named Romeo, who's not really progressing yet, he is still skeptical of the churches teachings (even scriptures from the Bible aren't enough proof for him most of the time). But he says he may attend sacrament soon, as well as English class (Which is taught only by me. My companion won't help, even though he is probably better at English than at Malagasy). I told Romeo that I play the saxophone and he said he would try to find a saxophone, so that we could get one in our house. (We already have a drum set and guitar).
  A tender mercy this week: I had the opportunity to teach the lesson at district meeting on Thursday, entitled "Behold, The Scriputres Are Before You" about how we can find answers to confusing doctrinal questions in the scriptures. I turned the lesson into a game, but through preparing and the Spirit, I learned answers or came up with explanation to questions that I did not even know. I am honestly looking forward to the lesson with Solo, probably tomorrow. This will probably be a make-or-break moment for his spiritual progression. He is not progressing, but I know he has the most potential because he has already felt the Holy Ghost. We have set a goal for this week -28 hours proselyting (the mission standard). It is a challenge, but it has been achieved before.
  I can't remember the scripture, but there was an article I read probably last week in the Liahona. There was a scripture that may have been quoted from the Bible (Isaiah) talking about all the works and miracles Jesus would accomplish. "Who shall declare his generation",which basically says that we, as believers, have the responsibility of making Jesus Christ and His gospel known to everyone, and that is what we are about.
  I appreciate the instrumental music, because now I don't have to listen to John Williams, Joe Hisaishi, or Yiruma constantly (they are great, but I can listen to the theme from Jurassic Park only so often. Other than that, not much is new. I will hope to have something interesting next time. Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment