A behind-the-scenes look at Evan's two-year mission in Madagascar for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Monday, January 26, 2015


   Well this week was similar to most weeks. Except, this week, Elder Munanira and I had 28 hours of proselyting (which is the mission standard). That is the most hours of proselyting I have had since I have been a missionary. It is safe to say that we worked diligently this week. I will learn transfer news this Sunday, which does not really mean much, other than the fact that I may be getting a new companion. Either way, there is basically no chance that I will be transferred to another place.
   I miss our ward events and other church activities that were every week. The days are pretty monotonous, but such is missionary life. Hard to believe that Trek is happening again already. I hope a lot of the youth in the West Columbia Stake attend this year. It was challenging at first, but it turned out to be cool, and I felt the Spirit, especially during testimony meeting. 
  Hopefully, the temple work will progress, as well as our family history work on the computer. I am glad that Ward Conference went well. Tell anyone who mentions me that I am doing well.  It is weird that it is time for Trevor to come home. I think time only goes quickly when you are not related to the missionary.
  We taught a lot of investigators this past week, but there was one specific lesson that stood out to me enough that I wrote in my journal (for the first time in serveral months). So, the investigator's name is Solo (rhymes with Zulu). Apparently, he has been an investigator for a while, because he still has problems with the Tenin'ny Fahendrena (Word of Wisdom), and he still does not attend church. Anyway, we were teaching him about the blessings of the temple. And Elder Munanira asked me to explain the importance of the temple. So I talked about eternal marriage (fanambadiana mandrakizay) and baptisms for the dead (batisa ho an' ny maty). I knew that I was explaining the temple and the purpose of the temple the best I could, and when I was finished, he was amazed at how clear it all was. He said that he felt satisfied, and motioned that his heart was expanding in his chest. 
  I knew that it was the Holy Ghost testifying that he needed to get to the temple with his family and that what we were saying is true. I told him that, and said that he needed to put alcohol aside, so he could accomplish that goal. I said that whenever he felt tempted to do something bad or to drink again, don't give in to the temptation ("Because you have set a goal"). Then I invited him to be baptized, to which he agreed. I felt the Spirit too, and I am glad that I was there to be a vessel of the Spirit. I hope he truly commits to accomplishing that goal. I am in no ways perfect, but I know that Heavenly Father provides opportunities for us to be examples and to bear testimony to others, missionary or otherwise. 

Have a great week, everyone. 
Love y'all
Elder Pinson

No comments:

Post a Comment